Our Middle units cater to both first-time campers and campers returning from our Lower units. You’ll have many opportunities to test your wings while enjoying the pure fun of camp life and time with one another. In order to nurture these ideals and principles, campers in our Middle units are treated like young adults. They develop a Code of Living and participate in activities that offer adventure and a definite sense of accomplishment, which will make you more confident about who you are and what you’re all about.
For Girls 12 to 13 Years Old
We understand that friends and fun are two of your top priorities. As a Chipeta camper (a Chipetan!), you’ll participate in activities that offer adventure and a definite sense of accomplishment, which makes you more confident about who you are and what you’re all about. The free-choice program means you have a say in choosing your program activities.
You’ll have many opportunities to test your wings while enjoying the pure fun of camp life and time with one another. At the start of the term, you and the other Chipeta campers will write a Code of Living or set of principles each of you agrees to honor during your time together.
Chipeta is about forming healthy friendships and solidifying a stronger sense of self. There’s plenty of time to hang out in the Chipeta Lodge and share stories about the day’s adventures. Maybe you’ll play a game of foosball, take your turn at the piano, or volley with a friend at the ping-pong table. Boredom will never enter your mind.
Cheley offers opportunities to step up and lead daily. Maybe you talk a fellow camper through the last steps of a tough hike to Mount Ida, work together on the challenge course, or help your backpacking partner set up her tent at Sandbeach Lake. Chipeta will encourage your personal growth through fun and adventurous activities with caring and knowledgeable counselors.
Skit practice, Square Dance with Ski Hi, vespers, skit in a bag, wink murder, Dutch auction, spa night, All Girl’ Camp Sing Along, counselor imitation, talent night, warm & fuzzies, paper, stick, rock, Zumba, cabin night, PJ Party, Lip Sync Battle, Fish Bowl, recognition campfire, scavenger hunt, skit night, Mario Kart, and more.
Broken Circle, Diamond K, H-Bar-9, O-Bar-O, Two Four Six, Quarter Circle 5
Explore Our Activities
Chipeta campers get to choose from a wide range of activities designed just for you.
- Challenge Course
- Climbing Wall
- High Ropes
- Horseback Riding Trips
- Horseback Ring Rides
- Horseback Trail Rides
- Lil’ Ranchers
- Stand Up Paddleboarding
- Technical Climbing
- And miscellaneous activities, like Finer Things, Water Wars, Random Acts of Kindness, and more!
*During the summer, campers may have the opportunity to participate in the designated activity; however, it is not a regular offering.
What is a Unit?
Our 27-day program, Summer Camp, is divided into eight units, organized according to age & gender. Each unit offers the same renowned Cheley Experience staffed by 15-17 enthusiastic counselors. Chipeta has a capacity of 70 campers.
Each unit has its own well-maintained lodge, boathouse, and living spaces. We are a large camp, but this setup ensures individualized attention for each camper. Six of our eight units are located at Land O’Peaks (LOP), while the other two are located at the Trail’s End (TE). Campers at Cheley participate in activities and campfire with their unit, although some cross-unit social opportunities do occur, including Chapel, All-Camp Campfire, and Play Day.
What is a Go-To Counselor?
Each camper is assigned a counselor in their unit (typically, someone also in their cabin) who is responsible for them in terms of general camp life. They are your mentor, advocate, and “go-to” counselor throughout the term. This means they are checking in with you daily to see how your experience is progressing. They are getting to know you and what excites and scares you. They are watching you every day, and because of your relationship with them, can tell when things are going well and when they need extra attention. In essence, they are your big brother or sister. To support you and your Cheley Experience, your go-to counselor is there for you to:
- Create family! They are reading your blue camper/parent information form, encouraging letter writing home, writing weekly reports, meeting and greeting parents on visiting day, and saying good night.
- Know your program! They are advising, monitoring, and advocating for you during sign-ups to make sure you are getting the programs you want and completing your goals during the camp experience. Assisting and advising in appropriate clothing and equipment for the day.
- Encourage personal responsibility! They are helping you keep track of your belongings. Assisting in packing and unpacking, monitoring borrowing and lending, creating an honest environment, helping with lost and found, and supervising laundry preparation.
- Nurture your physical and emotional health! They are monitoring and assisting with personal cleanliness, encouraging physical conditioning and challenge, escorting you to the Health Center for medication or illness/injury, encouraging adequate sleep and rest, and more. Encouraging self-reliance and independence. Talking with you, listening to you, playing with you, and reading. Being available.